Thursday, February 16, 2006

Aloha!

In celebration of the job and daycare searches ending, we decided to go to Hawaii for a week or so. More specifically, we are going to Kauai.

Yes, the job search is over. I'm sitting on two offers right now, both are good, but both are in the South Bay. Oh well, I guess I will have about an hour commute for either one. It might be slightly shorter if I can manage to drag my ass out of bed and get to work by 7am. That way, I get to (hopefully) beat most traffic.

It seems it all will work out in the end, because I will end up gettting a raise, getting unemployment for six weeks, and I'll be going back to work in about half the time that the severance from the last place will cover. The job may not be all that glamorous, only time will tell on that front, but the place has potential, and I'll be the one trying to turn that potential into something kinetic.

Back to Hawaii...as it turns out, this trip should be relatively budget-friendly. We got a good deal on the flights, with a short stop in Honolulu. We are getting a car for the week at a reasonable rate. I wanted to get a convertible, but Kyle thought it might be better for Cobalt if we had a solid roof. We are also getting four nights in a friend's time-share for a song! All we have to do is find a place for the first couple and last couple of nights. And with it being the off-season, that shouldn't be much of an issue. We'll see when we get there.

Neither of us have been to Hawaii, so we are not sure what to expect. We do expect, however, to relax and have a good time. We'll try to both hit the beaches and do a few hikes. I'm sure we'll run into both sun and rain on the island, as well. So it looks like we'll pack light, with raingear. We went to REI last weekend and picked up a slicker for the boy. A nice, bright, lime-green one from Sierra Designs. Now if we can just remember to bring it...

1 comment:

achiappanza said...

The SF-South Bay commute is not bad if you don't do it alone. I recommend looking hard for someone else with the same commute and then carpooling.

Once you get over the fear of loss of total transportation autonomy, it works out much better. Especially with these gas prices.

There are web sites that hook people up if you can't find someone at the new gig.